There are 3 days of classes every week, but Thursday is film day and optional. I went for last week's film, it was on the history of sex. Should have been interesting but I totally fell asleep... and I hardly saw any of my classmates. hahah
Anyway, so far we learnt about the male and female system, and the reproductive system. Today I watched a video of the sperms swimming up the the egg. It was a video of the system... yeah... pretty amazing.. It's amazing how one even gets pregnant. Like the sperm has to go through so many barriers just to fertilise the egg. And after the fertilisation, a series of changes will take place and try to lodge itself into the uterus of the woman. So many things can go wrong. really so so so so many things can go wrong. That's why life is so amazing. What more can you ask for than a healthy baby?
So, my prof showed us another very VERY explicit video today. On childbirth.
I saw the baby's head stick out of the woman's vagina.
OH. MY. GOD.
So bloody scary.
Then the baby's shoulders came out... suddenly the arms are dangling out and the baby starts swinging its arms... the doctor pulled the whole baby out and then Whoosh and huge splash of fluid came out of the now huge vaginal opening (birth canal) and the class went UHHHHHHHH.
Kudos to mothers.
We had our first discussion group (DG) today. I was nervous about this cause I thought it'd be in front of the whole lecture group... but the DG was literally just a group discussion! Like we went back to our groups and discussed the topic of the day. Today's was about culture and society values on human sexuality. My classmate asked how the situation is in Singapore... and I said it's still quite conservative and definitely not as sexually open as US. One of them asked if our perception of US through it's media is that it is a sex-crazed society. We talked about spring break craziness and the friends-with-benefits phenom and religious influence blahblah. I'm really puzzled as to how US got so focused on sexual related stuff. I mean once upon a time, their women wore clothes up to the necks, and skirts up the floor, and they were labelled as prudes!!!
What happened?
Is it fair to say the capitalists saw the weakness in man(as in homosapiens...) and that sex sells so they made use of it to start a whole new culture? I don't know.
Is it fair to say the capitalists saw the weakness in man(as in homosapiens...) and that sex sells so they made use of it to start a whole new culture? I don't know.
My classmate said that people really need to start caring about other more important issues, and it doesn't help that the media focuses on celebrities and their fake boobs. As a foreigner, that is what I see too... but I'm afraid to stereotype and make a sweeping statement. I feel that Americans need to take a step back and look at their lives, especially those that wake up every morning thinking
guys: I'm da man! damn, look at those muscles. i'm gonna get myself some chicks.
girls: oh, my boobs look perrrrfect. purr.
lol. ok, i feel like so bitchy typing that! but you get my drift...i wish they'd get some enlightenment!
Never mind that people want big boobs, tiny waist and no wrinkles. Just be balanced ya know. Like, don't be like Heidi Montag ( I know I know... not many people end up like that) but it just shows how screwed up the culture is!!! I think it's ok to do some procedures in order to make you more confident... but becoming obsessed with your appearance is just so unhealthy! But the question is ... where do you draw the line? Why don't plastic surgeons have moral standards and advise their patients accordingly??
This is such a huge culture problem. Promiscuity. Over emphasis on appearance. Rising divorce rates. Broken families. Screwed up children. Screwed up future.
relac.
ReplyDeleteThis was interesting.
ReplyDelete