Saturday, May 29, 2010

Mexican Food



I'm always hunting for non-restaurants to eat in so I won't have to tip. It will usually cost me about 6-8 usd for one meal. Today I found a cheap mexican place in Powell. Powell is a tourist attraction, and it's a busy busy place so most cafes are quite expensive. The burrito at this mexican place only costs 5.60usd including tax! And it was huge. And the people are so niceeee. I was asking the lady about Mexican food cause I was confused about carnitas and bbq pork. carnitas (taken from Wikipedia) literally means "little meats", is a type of braised or roasted pork in Mexican food. The burrito was humongous and it was delicious. It had pork, rice, beans... oohlala. I love beans. Mexicans eat all sorts of beans.. I tried it with pinto beans.
I saw Chorizo on the menu... and then I recall Joel's grandma. She cooked for arroz con pollo for us... also added chorizo. The lady at the mexican food joint turned out to be from El Salvador and she was telling me that in her country, people eat papusa. (google...)
A pupusa (from Pipil pupusawa) is a traditional Salvadoran dish made of thick, hand-made corntortilla (made using masa de maíz, a maize flour dough used in Latin American cuisine) that is filled with a blend of the following: cheese (queso) (usually a soft cheese called Quesillo found in all Central America), cooked pork meat ground to a paste consistency (called chicharrón, not to be confused with fried pork rind which is also known as chicharrón in some other countries),squash (ayote), or (pataste), refried beans (frijoles refritos), or queso con loroco (loroco is a vine flower bud from Central America).

I think tortilla is yummy. so soft... and chewy. Someone once told me that Mexican food is super unhealthy and super heavy. I don't get why. So long as we stay away from Chimmychangas, we should be okay what. Chimmys are DEEP fried burritos.

It really is the portion size here. It's all so super sized that's why people get so fat. Why are their stomachs so huge?

5 comments:

  1. i dun like burritos..wad's with the rice and beans and veg and meat wrapped in tougher-than-popiah skin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. n take more pictures of f00000d pls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey jing wei... i don't have too many photos cause i always cook my own food... and i only cook like 1-2 times a week! lol. and when i eat out, i always eat the standard type of food. if you were here, we would be trying new recipes everyday... :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. and burritos are nice! i'm not used to the rice... but i looooooove the tortilla! it's chewy, not tough! and it's different from popiah skin! can't compare orange and apple. har gao skin is also different what ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha..u cld take pics of home cooked food tooo. I recievedyour breakfast pizza. Looks so goood. I found a cupcake webby but not in US. http://heaveninabite.weebly.com/index.html

    ReplyDelete