Monday, May 24, 2010

Alcatraz Island

I woke up at some ungodly hour again!!!!
I was just soooo tired I knocked out at 6ish 7pm right after returning home. I finally went to get some cough mixture from Walgreens... I hope I get well soon. I was coughing so badly today I could hardly talk.

So anyways... yesterday we went to Alcatraz island(Pier 33) and Fisherman's Wharf (pier 39). The nearest BART is Embarcadero.

It costs 26usd to get to Alcatraz. Alcatraz was where the most notorious criminals of America get sent to. In there, it was written (for the tourists), "Break the rules and you go to Prison, break the Prison rules, and you go to Alcatraz". Some of the infamous prison inmates include Al Capone "Scarface", Machine Gun Kelly and Birdman Robert Shroud. We managed to catch a tour conducted by the National Park Ranger and she told us stories about the prison inmates... That Al Capone was a family man, who started soup kitchens for the poor and rallied for the law to print the date of production on milk boxes to prevent more deaths due to consumption of sour milk. The bottom line is she was trying to convince us that not ALL the inmates were dangerous. They just didn't behave. Al Capone bribed the prison guards to get him this and that so much so that the warden decided he was too out of control so he sent Al Capone to Alcatraz.

There were a few attempted escapes though it claims no one really ever got to taste freedom. The one instance when inmates managed to get out of the prison and out to sea, it was assumed that the water was too cold and too harsh. They were never seen again...

The visit was surprisingly long. We took the 10am ferry there and only got back past 1pm.



The view from the island was surprisingly beautiful.

This was how the prisoners escaped.
They apparently managed to make the vent so big by digging with spoons!





You see San Francisco so clearly.
so near yet so far for the inmates!

Fisherman's Wharf



No comments:

Post a Comment