Saturday, May 29, 2010

Golden Gate Park

You will NEVER believe what I saw today.
scccrrrrrrrrrchhhhhhh PUI!
I saw an American spit.
Yes, a white guy tried to empty his throat of phlegm and he went on to turn his head to spit on the road. Mind you he was dressed in office attire.
And we thought only the Chinese people do it.
***

I went down to San Francisco today :)
Too many days of Berkeley town can be boring. I took the Muni train for the first time today... and it's pretty cool. You'd think it's like a regular train system (with a station and gantries) but it isn't. It goes above ground, onto the roads and instead of stations, you have a muni stand. And the bus driver will be the one issuing the ticket. The muni travels on tracks too... and it has a cable attached to electrical wires. It was fun on the muni...
It travels on tracks, and SF is hilly.
It felt like a Disney Land roller coaster. :) lol.
SF looks quite retro actually.. the houses and the shop signs...
Weather was good today... how I'd kill for good company and coffee in an alfresco setting.
I'll sit outdoors, wear my sunglasses (I can see you but you can't see me.heheh) and look at people :)

I went to Golden Gate Park. Got off at Civic Centre Bart Station and took a muni ($2 a trip) to 9th Ave and Judah, then I walked. Very easy. Very near.
There are many things in Golden Gate Park -
1. de Young Fine Arts Museum
2. California Academy of Sciences
3. AIDS memorial Grove
4. Conservatory of Flowers
5. (lame, will explain later) Shakespeare Garden
6. Dutch Windmills
7. Japanese Tea Garden
8. Beach Chalet

I wanted to go to all except for the last 2. I only managed to go to no. 1, 3 and 5 in the end.

De Young Museum was AWESOME. And I'm not even an Arts person.


There was an observatory deck on the 9th floor.


There was an exhibition going on - Birth of Impressionism. Masterpieces from the MUSEE D'ORSAY. It featured work from 36 artists including Monet, Renior, Manet and Degas. Are the names already renown to even non-art lovers or was it because I was listening to the audio tour and heard their names over and over again?
Anyway, their paintings were all oil on canvas. And they were amazing. amazing. amazing. The depth of the painting... the layers and details of it... the 3D effect. Just amazing. And I also noticed back in their time, they painted just beautiful females. Perfectly healthy, curvy and real figures.

This was one of the first few paintings shown. You'll see how amazing this piece is when you get to see it yourself. There are SO many layers. And it's so perfect I couldn't believe it was painted.

This is pretty famous too. By Edgar Degas. Look at all the details. So many emotions and actions by the different subjects in the painting.

Just this exhibition was worth my 21usd. That is the admission fee for college students. I paid an additional 7usd for audio guide. I love this audio guide thing... makes such tours so much more informative and effortless.
But the museum offered more than this exhibition. I spent 3-4 hours in there. They had native American, African, Contemporary art (photography, pop art, abstract art, print art), Art in America up until the 20th century and some other types.

And there was a Textile collection too - Amish quilts (this was quite funny to me... it was just soooo many quilts being mounted and displayed. I never knew this design is called Roman Stripes though. I overheard someone asking why didn't they bring the designs into their clothing as well.

Amish Roman Stripes by junistichling.

There was just a lot to see.. and I think this activity was good to do alone. I mean although I would have liked company... no company is better than bad company. I'm always open to talking and meeting with people... but I didn't meet someone I eventually went about the place with. I only chatted with a couple from Texas briefly.. at least I'm getting comfortable chatting with strangers!! Joel would remember how awkward I used to be a year ago when people started chatting with me!

Ouside De Young Museum, there was this monument... upon closer look... it was for the author of America's national anthem! I love the Star Spangled Banner. The lyrics is just so meaningful, and the song is so powerful. I attached one of my favourite versions below for your reference. They always sing it before the start of Superbowl... and I guess it's even more powerful when you see how the song evokes the emotions of the footballers.




***
Let me just say that there are so many parks and grass patches here. It was only 5pm but everyone seemed to be out and walking their dogs. I know Americans love their dogs and pets. I'm getting more used to it now. I used to freak out whenever I see big dogs around.
I know Joel doesn't read this... but he'll remember how I almost fell off the bench when we were in Philly. We were just sitting by the fountain then this dog decides to bark like mad all of a sudden and threatened to run off (thank god it was chained to it's owner's bench). I completely, I mean COMPLETELY freaked out.


The AIDS Memorial Grove was just another park, with stones engraved with the names of the people who died of the virus.

And Shakespeare Garden is a joke. Let's have one in Singapore too. It has a nice gate, and on the other side of the garden, few poems engraved into metal. period.

***
So I spoke to Frank. I'll have you know, that he and another guy has the company of 5 girls!!! LOL. He's going to cab somewhere tonight. I am not following cause I want to be able to WALK home. Charlene told me to hit the bar near school, even if I'm alone. I don't know if that's wise. But I don't want to stay in on a Friday night! I was still jet lagged last friday so I didn't go anywhere (omg, I came here only 10 days ago?? seemed so much longer) but there's no reason for me to be home tonight! I only have 6 weeks somemore... now 5. What should I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment