Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Human Sexuality and Development Psychology

Hello....
I had my first class for both my subjects today. I can see how the style of learning in US have moulded the Americans to speak up and be more interactive and inquisitive. Lectures were more like conversations... with students constantly raising their hands to ask questions... however small or insignificant the detail is... they don't hesitate to share it with the class, and the lecturer always answers. It encourages discussion.

Just in case you were wondering, I'm taking Developmental Psychology and Human sexuality this summer. Dev Psych focuses on the development of Children, and Human Sexuality focuses on, well, sex. Human beings' sexual behaviour. Why am I taking it? Well, it could be interesting, and they will never ever offer it in Singapore. It'll be challenging... It's not going to be easy. But I'll just deal with it as it comes.

Today my Human Sexuality lecturer came to class looking somewhat like an odd-job worker. He was wearing berms and a loosely-fitted shirt. He has hair beyond his ears but above his shoulders. He was wearing a choker. And he wore flip-flops to class. Maybe it's only for summer sessions. But that was what he wore to give us the lecture. Interesting.
He said he wasn't gonna ask the guys in the class who read porn... cause he already knew the answer.
ALL.

He made us fill in a written assignment on the spot with which he will use to split us into 4 discussion groups (probably based on our thoughts and views on the sexual issues). The questions were on pornography, prostitution, abortion, gay marriage, gay adoption, gay participation in the military and sexual education. Controversial issues. Issues that I had little information on. I felt quite ignorant then. I guess this course will change things.

Apparently, USA is only in the middle when it comes to openness to human sexuality. Scandinavian countries are more open.. and of course the east is more conservative.

Anyway, I went to buy textbooks just now... 100usd for a used textbook. ONE HUNDRED!
INSANE.
I went onto Amazon and the used textbooks are much cheaper so I'm going to refund it tomorrow. And I asked my housemate if people use the books in the library instead... she said it's more common to buy them cause there are open book exams and all... (yeah, my course is open book too). So yeah, textbooks are freaking expensive here! How do they buy 5 books every semester?? And in Singapore, we don't even want to spend 40 bucks!

2 comments:

  1. you could buy the textbooks from schoool. and then they wld prob want to collect the textbooks back at the end of the semester and refund you most of the cost price... tt's what I did for 3 of my textbooks...i bought the rest for eBay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's called renting TB. Half the price but I don't want to pay 70usd and have to return the book in the end!
    I bought both my tb from Amazon in the end. I hope they arrive, and on time

    ReplyDelete