- Your visa is expiring
- You're getting used to the smell of Weed, however much you hate it (this applies to the East Bay only actually)
- You manage to finish a standard american size portion for your meal
The last point is ALARMING.
I don't know why I've been eating so much the last couple of days. Seriously, I've been eating A LOT. I'm constantly in search of more food after my regular serving. I just ate a WHOLE burrito. When I first came here, I had 1 burrito over 2 meals. And now I just finished one whole thing. Speaking of which, I love mexican food. Absolutely love it. I love chewy tortilla, mushy refried beans, mexican rice, sour cream, guacamole... YUMMM-MEE. I can't marry a man who doesn't love mexican food.
Anyway...
Life has gotten even better now. I finished my Human Sexuality Finals just now... and I have my Dev Psychology exam tomorrow... that's open book so it's a load off my shoulders. So I'm much more in the mood to blog now.
Over the weekend was the gay pride and it was really fun, although the parade itself was not up to my expectations, I was in awesome company, we had great weather.. what more could I ask for? I was drinking wine while walking on the road on Saturday. FYI, it's illegal to consume alcohol out in the open in USA so Joel poured his vodka into his 7up bottle and secretly gave in to alcohol in the middle of the day, while I drank apple-juice-look-alike Chardonnay from a paper cup. I finished the whole bottle all by myself. This is the result:
I wasn't out of control. I'm never out of control... probably just a lot louder and happier. I sobered up eventually (it took some effort) but by then Joel and Tyler went to get magaritas and got drunk. And this is the result:
Tyler kept ignoring me... and as usual the gay boys make fun of my Singaporean accent.
At night, there was a shooting in the Castro. 1 died, 2 got injured. The shooter is apparently a 20 year old. Noshin heard the gun shots. I saw nothing. I heard nothing. But it happened. It's scary. Tyler and I were sitting on the steps outside one of the lovely houses in the Castro when 2 girls (they looked younger than me) came up to us and went up the stairs to sit behind us. We chatted a bit. Actually Tyler chatted with them... I wasn't paying any attention to them. Afterwards Tyler said the girls started licking Cocaine from their IDs... and they sat behind us so we would cover them up. It's messed up. Meanwhile while all this happening, Joel is standing in the middle of the road chatting with a guy that Noshin picked up for him.
Noshin had a rainbow flag with her and she went round poking guys' butts with it then screaming "I SUPPORT GAYS!". It was just hilarious. She poked a guy who happened to be straight (he was with his gf) and he was soooo startled. We just quickly walked away. When sitting down, she would wave her flag and continue screaming. One Asian guy stopped and gave her a smooch. Noshin then went on to compliment a guy's ass and then he started doing lunges in front of her. Then Noshin got up and did lunges with him. insanity. random. funny. not something we would ever do back home.
Sunday we went back for the parade. The LGBT Pride is a 2 day festival; the roads will be closed... there will be food stalls and music playing... but the parade is only on one day, which happened on Sunday. So we left the house around 10.30am on Sunday morning to catch the Parade at the Civic Centre. I was in such a hurry in the morning... was supposed to meet up with Andrew, Jon and Sean. And I told Sean I was going to call him but I totally forgot. So sorry Sean!
Anyway we took the BART down to SF... and the BART was PACKED. And I saw rainbows everywhere!! People with rainbow coloured socks. Rainbow hair. Rainbow eye shadow. People rode in trains and buses half naked. Hell, at the festival itself, I saw plenty of naked men and a few naked women. It was just crazy. Crazy. There was an unexplainable air of freedom and liberty. I would never do it myself, but I do love watching them go free without inhibitions and be accepted for who they are. Sure, there are some ABSOLUTELY ridiculous behaviour - like masturbating in public - yes, I saw that... but for the most part, you feel that it was a weekend dedicated to the queer folks to give them all the rights and space they deserve.
I love watching the gay parents march with their children. I love watching them hold hands, whether they are gays or lesbians. They have found a partner whom they love... you would think that the society would be more accepting of them, especially since the heterosexual couples have a divorce rate of 50% in America.
We headed back early (before Backstreet Boys performed) because Tyler was leaving on the 7.45pm plane. We got back to Berkeley.. walked him to the BART, then we went for dinner and watched the movie Grown Ups. We = Joel, Noshin, me, Sean and Andrew. We were going our separate ways after the movie when we realised we had a lot of things to say and discuss with each other... so we headed back to the cinema and just sat outside on the floor and chatted for a long long long time, mainly about psychology and about Joel and Noshin's characters.
Andrew decided that day that he misunderstood me. He is a psychologist in training and I guess he automatically tried to figure me out after weeks of classes... only to find out on Sunday that he got it all wrong!! hahaha.. Noosh said I'm an onion; that you need to peel me. CRACK me open. Aren't most people like that? I'm not that difficult to figure out. I'm always honest. You just have to ask and I would tell. I am capable of a discussion and a conversation; it's just that sometimes the opposite party isn't interested in one.
What else happened that I didn't cover....
Well, we went to watch "Children of God" on the night of Joel's birthday. It is an amazing film on Gay people...very educational and touching.
Oh yes, how could I forget! Sky-diving!
Perhaps I convinced myself so early on that it wouldn't be scary AT ALL.... it actually turned out to be fucking scary. Joel and Noshin said it was actually nothing.... but I thought the falling part was kinda scary. It happened so fast... I was just telling myself to keep my head back (as told by the instructor) and try my best to enjoy it. Adding on to that was the jump made me nauseous. I may need to jump another time to fully appreciate the feelings of it. Until the next sky diving, I am looking forward to other bucket to-do things like Cliff Diving and Bungee Jumping.
Perhaps I convinced myself so early on that it wouldn't be scary AT ALL.... it actually turned out to be fucking scary. Joel and Noshin said it was actually nothing.... but I thought the falling part was kinda scary. It happened so fast... I was just telling myself to keep my head back (as told by the instructor) and try my best to enjoy it. Adding on to that was the jump made me nauseous. I may need to jump another time to fully appreciate the feelings of it. Until the next sky diving, I am looking forward to other bucket to-do things like Cliff Diving and Bungee Jumping.
No comments:
Post a Comment